Hey everyone. One of our fellow readers asked for a few healthy dessert ideas. So I decided to share with you a recipe I tried a few times and turned out delicious: Bran Brownies. Many of you might wonder how can a brownie be healthy. Well, the ingredients will help you understand.
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I ran out of cocoa powder so I put ½ cup of light hot chocolate powder)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (I substituted normal sugar with 2/3 of a cup of aspartame-free sweetener)
- 1/2 cup of bran cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup of homemade applesauce
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
Most probably, applesauce in brownies might seem weird to many of you, but it is an amazing alternative for butter and margarine, as they contain a high amount of fats. Homemade applesauce is almost fat-free and sweet, which makes you able to reduce the amount of sugar and keep your treat healthy.
Adding bran cereal to your brownies will not ruin the dessert’s taste yet it will add some healthy fibers needed for digestion.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until they become light. Add the sugar while beating until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Fold in the bran cereal, vanilla and applesauce (if you do not know how to prepare applesauce, scroll down). Fold in the flour mixture and add the walnuts. Spread the final mixture in a baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° F for about 30 minutes
TIP: In order to know whether or not your cake is ready to get out of the oven, insert a wooden pick near the center of the pan. If the pick comes out clean, it means that your cake is done.
- Cool completely in pan.
For those of you who are preparing their applesauce at home:
1) Cut some apples into thick slices without peeling the skin and put them in a casserole with about 2 to 3 cups of water
2) Boil the apples until they turn yellowish in color and strain them and then pour some cold water above them and strain again
3) Peel the skin off (it will be a lot easier to do it with your hands) and mash the peeled boiled apples until they turn into a puree.
4) Add ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon and mix